Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wednesday Grumblings

Retail (psycho)Therapy
Allow me to start off by saying how thankful I am to be employed during such a tough economic time.  It is a joy and a blessing to receive a paycheck every week.  That being said... 

I have a college degree and I'm preaching about a $9.99 ice scraper that is one of "Oprah's favorite things".    

...

It kind of makes me sick to my stomach.  How I went from penning critical essays on Chekov and the Moscow Art Theatre to pitching ice scrapers (Mitten included!!!), I'll never know.  One thing is for sure, after the holidays, it is time to get serious about finding a more sustainable job.     

CTA Happenings
I've had a few interesting occurrences as of late which I am deeming blog-worthy.  (Please excuse my brevity; I'm pooped.  I sold a LOT of ice scrapers...)  

A few days ago, the woman next to me on the train began clucking like a chicken.  There was clearly something wrong with her, but I couldn't help but wonder if I should toss out some breadcrumbs.

Today, a man got on the bus who was tripping so hard his upper-body went catatonic while his legs pulsated rapidly.  He may have been having a seizure of some type, and as much as I wanted to help, I knew it was potentially dangerous for me to get involved.  There were two other twenty-something girls who were also eyeing the situation.  Randomly, the three of us, complete strangers, said that if he moved towards us we were going to defend each other.  Jessie, one of the girls, thought the guy was a heroin junkie.  She was from Detroit; so we'll take her word for it.  Either way, it was a little freaky.  I guess I must be adapting to city-life quickly.  Although these events were a bit strange, I wasn't shocked or surprised.  

Hugs not drugs!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Good luck with the job hunt, Ashley, and stay away from junkies!