Sunday, January 25, 2009

epiphanies and elegies


FACT:  I've been neglecting my blog.  

FACT:  Most of my focused internet time has been devoted to the seemingly insurmountable job-hunt.  

FICTION:  I know exactly what I'm doing with my life.

So far Chicago has taught me a lot of things.  I've discovered little gems such as:

-It's a silent compliment when someone sits next to you on the bus or the train.  It really means that you're the least unfortunate looking (and/or smelling) person around.

- 10.25% sales tax sucks.

-In a big city, it is important to be green and eco-friendly.  GreenPeace has their foot soldiers on every corner and they WILL follow you.

-If you give up your seat to an old man, a young idiot with their ipod on will immediately take a load off.  

My experience in Chicago has provided me with more than the survival tips above.  I've come to the realization that I no longer want to be an actress.  I actually feel slightly relieved to scratch something off the list.  I know that I'd like to be a professional.  I want a job that I can confidently refer to as a "career".  I'm hoping to wiggle, charm, elbow, and shove my way into a job that may even allow me to be slightly creative.  Structured creativity.  That's what I want.  Wait a second... isn't that called coloring?  Well, either way.  I was always very good at being creative inside the lines :)

2 comments:

Colin said...

I met you today...and you're not gonna write about that in your blog?!?!

What? said...

Seriously???
I waited this long and its not even about new years eve, the snow, the freakin snot-icicles...nothing??? Just "Im too hot for these stupid big city people to cast me in their shows" and " boy I like being in retail, its comforting"

Oh wait thats not what you said..thats just me feeling sorry for myself for not having heard from you in so long.

Please...no no...continue..


Rocco